Blairmore Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
Leitch Collieries opened in 1907, and was the only completely Canadian-owned mine in the Pass, and was singularly ambitious in scale. Owners built 107 coke ovens, arranged in a massive row, a huge wooden washery and a tipple with a daiy capacity of 1,000 to 2,000 tons of coal. Chaotic coal prices forced the mine to close in 1915. The stone remains of the original buildings display early coal mining methods and ways of life, and interpretive displays line the trails.